79 - As if you love me

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Chapter 79 - As if you love me

Translator: Yonnee

-

It was only after a week after Ciel left that it felt as if I eased back into my normal, everyday life.

Accompanied by a refreshing sound, the arrow hit the target. I crossed the clearing with a leisurely gait and reached the target, where a number of arrows were stuck. I pulled them out one by one.

The sun's heat intensified as it approached the middle of the sky. I wiped my sweat with a handkerchief, feeling that summer was soon here.

"Huu..."

Dad had yet to come back from his trip to Yuria, and Brother went to the garrison for work as usual. Meanwhile, Mom also began preparing for the mansion's renovations this summer.

"Maybe ten more shots before I go in."

There was still some time before luncheon, so I took the arrows so I could resume my training. However, as soon as I went back to my spot, I saw Mary running out of the mansion.

"Is the meal being served early today?"

But Mom was the type of person who'd stick to the schedule. Perhaps she finished work a little early today?

As Mary ran to my side, I turned to face her.

"Milady!"

It was clear on Mary's face that she was flustered and surprised, and besides that, Mary was visibly shaking in front of me. Just in case that wasn't enough to convey her emotions, Mary shouted as well.

"Gifts have just arrived at the residence! Cough, cough!"

"Mary, speak slowly. You're tripping over your words."

Thinking that Ciel must have come back, I made an effort to calm myself as my thoughts scattered while patting Mary's back slowly. However, what Mary said next agitated me once again.

"B-But Milady! Just now- A proposal letter has arrived for you!"

"...Proposal letter?"

"Yes! From Duke Leopardt! The handsome guest who visited not long ago!"

After that, Mary squished her cheeks with both hands and jumped up and down. She said something else again, but I couldn't hear any of her words.

Without realizing it myself, my legs started to move. From a slow pace, gradually, I started running.

As soon as I entered the mansion, the first thing I saw was Mom's back.

Mom rarely ever got taken aback, but as she was staring at the boxes upon boxes of gifts filling the entrance hall, she was very obviously shocked.

"Mom..."

Hearing my weak murmur, Mom turned. As my vision strayed as well, I was stunned to see the parade of gifts still on their way inside our home.

"Rin, what on earth..."

"Mom, what on earth..."

Mom and I both spoke and stopped speaking at the same time. Then, someone else approached us.

"Good morning, Baroness Closch and Young Lady Closch. I am Rouman, head butler of the Leopardt Duchy."

Taking off his hat, the old gentleman bowed politely to Mom.

"I apologize for the sudden visit."

"...What in the world is all this?"

As I took a step closer to Mom, she held my hand tightly when she asked the head butler.

Perhaps waiting for that as a signal, Rouman replied at once.

"These gifts and this letter are from Duke Leopardt, for the Young Lady of the Closch Barony. And here is a formal proposal letter for the Young Lady, addressed to Baron and Baroness Closch."

"Proposal letter?"

"That's right. His Grace the Duke handpicked these gifts himself and sent them. He said that he will come here and talk to you about the details personally. He is currently at the Imperial Palace, and so I implore for your understanding as to why he couldn't be present."

"......"

I could make neither heads nor tails of what's going on in that man's head. If a duke had personally sent a formal proposal letter to a baron's daughter, addressed to the head of the household, it's clear the baron wouldn't be able to turn it down. After all, he was a mere baron against a duke.

Besides that, it's ridiculous how he had sent such extravagant gifts...

Wasn't it nigh impossible to refuse? For some unknown reason, the actions that Ciel was taking-oozing with such confidence-were rousing a fiery anger in me.

I had no idea what kind of illusion he was under, but tell me. What kind of woman would want to get back together with her ex-husband?

"I beg your pardon, but..."

As soon as Mom spoke up, I also opened my lips.

"I refuse."

"...Pardon?"

"Rin?"

I spoke again to Rouman.

"Let me be clear: I refuse. I apologize, but I would like for you to take all the gifts back."

"...I am only someone who must fulfill His Grace's orders."

"If so, return to the Duke and tell him my answer. Until then, those gifts cannot be brought into my home, so please keep those items separately."

The head butler stared at me for a long time, perhaps because he couldn't believe what I was saying. A moment later though, he bowed his head lightly and raised it as he answered.

"I understand. I shall deliver Your Ladyship's answer. However, as you can see, these are valuable items that cannot be left alone in prairie schooners. I beg of you to please keep the gifts for a while."

"......"

I had no obligation to do so, but I couldn't bear to deny the earnest request of an old gentleman.

At this point, Mom stepped forward.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro